Update from the Chair
The South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute (SAHMRI) is demonstrating a commitment to contemporary community engagement in health and medical research.
- In 2019, SAHMRI appointed a Community Advisory Group (CAG) who are providing strategic oversight with implementing the SAHMRI Consumer and Community Engagement Framework (2015).
- At the August SAHMRI Board meeting the CAG Independent Chair presented the Community Engagement Report 2018-19. The Board noted progress and endorsed the establishment of a Community Engagement Board Ambassador role.
Progress with implementing the Framework is evident and several highlights include:
- Over 50 consumers and researchers participating in the second ‘Connecting with Community’ Forum in October. The Forum facilitated by the CAG featured a showcase session on examples of community voice in research with presentations from the Hospital Research Foundation, Health Translation SA (HTSA) and the Registry of Senior Australians.
- Following the launch of the Community Interest Register, 60 people have joined and provided advice on their areas of interest which include ageing, cancer, mental health, resilience and wellbeing.
- A Community Engagement in Research Toolkit is now available on the HTSA website with additional resources to be added in the coming months.
What’s Coming Up
- Developing a position statement on the value and importance of community engagement.
- The 2020 Connecting with Community Forum will include an award recognising a community member.
- Induction training for community interest register members and assessing the current needs of researchers who are engaging with consumers.
- Community Engagement Senior Project Officer, Alex Michelmore, is now on 12 months maternity leave and we wish her all the best.
Independent Chair, SAHMRI Community Advisory Group